Return to the Rappahannock~A Historic Journey
Sponsored by The Garden Club of the Northern Neck
Wednesday, April 24, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Checks payable to The Garden
Club of the Northern Neck.
Ample parking for cars and
buses. "Self-drive" tour maps.
DIRECTIONS TO INFORMATION
BLOCK TICKET: $20,
single house admission $10.
BOX LUNCHES: Warsaw United Methodist Church. Lunches are $7.50. Reserved lunches must be prepaid by April 14. A limited number of lunches will be available on premises without reservations. Lunches available 10:30 until 2:00. Tables on premises. Lunch reservations required for tour buses. Checks payable to Warsaw United Methodist Women. Call Mrs. James R. Knight (804) 333-3963 for reservations and information.
REFRESHMENTS: Refreshments will be served at the stables at Mt. Airy during tour hours.
HISTORY OF RICHMOND COUNTY
MOUNT AIRY 1.5 miles west of Main Street (Route 3) in Warsaw off Route 360, turn right onto Rt. 646. Follow to entrance. Mount Airy, acclaimed as one of the most beautiful Palladian houses in Virginia, has been in the Tayloe family since the end of the 17th century. The Tayloes moved to the farm in 1682. The third generation moved onto the ridge of the Rappahannock and away from the creek because of the mosquitoes. The present house is the second on the estate. John Tayloe II started its construction in 1748. Ten years later the entire architectural plan was completed. This included the residence with curved passageways leading to impressive flanking buildings, a formal forecourt which faces a deer park, and terraced gardens.
Mount Airy is built of local red sandstone quarried on the farm and trimmed with white sandstone brought from Aquia Creek. Interior furnishings include particularly fine dining room furniture and an unusually large collection of old family portraits. Heirloom furniture and antique oriental rugs complete an elegant reminder of early plantation life. Age old boxwood create a background for daffodils, wonderful old roses, and a profusion of iris which add color to a wide sweep of lawn. Several early outbuildings and the east wall of a brick orangerie remain, as does the old stable which housed many thoroughbreds and remind us that the Tayloes of Mount Airy were a founding family of the American turf. The 18th century stable, one of the few still standing, will serve as the refreshment area for guests during Garden Week. Mount Airy is a Virginia Historic Landmark and a National Historic Landmark. Mrs. H. Gwynne Tayloe, Jr., owner.
SABINE HALL One mile west of Main Street (Route 3) in Warsaw off of Rt. 360, turn left onto Route 624, and proceed to entrance. Sabine Hall was built c.1738 by Landon Carter, fourth son of Robert “King” Carter of Corotoman and builder of Christ Church, Lancaster County. Originally a classic Georgian brick structure with steeply-pitched, hipped roof and tall chimneys, Sabine Hall reflects alterations that both the builder, Landon, and ensuing generations effected upon the house. Two wings were added: the early east wing as a covered passage in 1764; the west wing in 1929, when the home became a two-family dwelling.
The porch on the riverside of the house is what Landon Carter referred to as his "piazza" and was documented in the 1797 insurance policy. In the 1820s, influenced by the Classical Revival, Robert Wormley Carter II lowered the roof, added a large portico on the landside, a classical pediment on the riverside, several classical architectural elements on the interior, and painted the exterior of the house white. Sabine Hall sits on a ridge on the northeast side of the Rappahannock River, with six terraces sloping towards the river. The garden, on the terrace below the house, retains its original 18th-century design, featuring paths, parterres, and English boxwood. Sabine Hall has always been owned and occupied by direct descendants of Landon Carter, and is both a Virginia and National Historic Landmark. Mr. and Mrs. Beverley Randolph Wellford and Mr. and Mrs. Robert Carter Wellford IV, owners.
JUGGS On the property of Sabine Hall stands Juggs, a vernacular Gothic revival farmhouse and the beloved retreat of family members. Of frame construction, Juggs was originally built c.1700 by a Mr. Judd. Landon Carter purchased Mr. Judd's farm when he was assembling Sabine Hall c.1730. Since that time and for many years, the house, the name of which gradually changed to "Juggs", was used by tenant farmers at Sabine Hall. Then in the early 1970's, Juggs became a guest house and retreat for the younger generations of the Wellford family. During the past year extensive renovation has enlarged and updated living areas, while maintaining the simplicity of the original farmhouse. Wrap- around open porches and a screened porch offer pleasant outdoor living.
Juggs is situated down by the river, well away from the mansion. The house, with a barn and other farm buildings nearby, old trees to offer shade, and a view across a field of the Rappahannock River, creates a peaceful bucolic scene. The charming interior is furnished with favorite "castoffs" from Sabine Hall and family homes. Fine Victorian furniture, an empire sideboard, and 19th century prints complement comfortable 20th century pieces to create a warm inviting haven. Open for Garden Week for the first time by the owner, a Wellford family partnership.
WOODFORD From center of Warsaw (at Northern Neck State Bank): take Rt. 3 E for 7.2 miles to Rt. 613 (Cavalry Church Road). Turn right onto Rt. 613, go 3.3 miles. Continue straight on Rt. 610 (Ivondale Road.) to Woodford. FROM Wilna to Woodford: Take Rt. 657 for .9 mile. Turn right on Rt. 610. Go .6 mile. Turn left onto Rt. 647. Go 2.3 miles to Rt. 608. Take a left onto Rt. 608; go 2.8 miles. Bear left at stop sign. Continue straight on Rt. 610 (Ivondale Road) to Woodford. Landscaped with shade trees, evergreens and magnolias, Woodford, an 18th century home, is located on scenic Farnham Creek. It's 53 acres are surrounded by water on three sides, creating a peninsula of fields, woodlands and marshes. Aged boxwood surround the house, form a "room" off the porch, and line an old brick walk. An important example of Virginia's transitional vernacular architecture, Woodford combines features of the simple cottages of colonial times with the more formal qualities of Georgian construction, creating a home of charm and style. The walls of the older section, laid in Flemish bond with glazed headers, were whitewashed at one time and allowed to weather, leaving a soft mottled texture. The clipped gable roof on the original portion of the house is one of Woodford's exceptional features.
In the living areas, English and American antiques and muted Oriental carpets reflect the simple elegance of the exterior. Of particular distinction are an 18th century Broadwood piano from England and a handsome Federal mirror in the drawing room, as well as an 18th century tall case clock by Samuel Ashton. Woodford was built c.1756 by Billington McCarty, Jr. After a succession of owners, including Major and Mrs. Charles Gilchrist of Charleston, S.C. who conducted a restoration in 1935, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Chinn purchased Woodford in the 1950's, and made further alterations. Mr. Chinn was a native of Richmond County and a descendent of the McCarty family. Woodford was purchased by the present owners in 2001 from Chinn family descendants. A Virginia Historic Landmark, Woodford is open for the first time for Garden Week Mr. and Mrs. C. Clayton Hurt, Jr., owners.
WILNA. From center of Warsaw (at Northern Neck State Bank): take Rt. 3 E for 12.1 miles to Rt. 608 (Farnham Creek Road). Turn right onto Rt. 608, go 1.3 miles to Rt. 647. Turn left on Rt. 647. ** Go 2.3 miles to Rt. 610. Turn right onto Rt. 610, go .6 mile. Turn left onto Rt. 657; .9 mile to Wilna. FROM Woodford to Wilna: Take Rt. 610 (Ivondale Road) to Rt. 608. At intersection with Rt. 608, go straight for .1 mile, then turn right onto Rt. 608 (Farnham Creek Road). Go 2.8 miles. Turn right onto Rt. 647. Then see **directions to Wilna. Wilna, c.1824, is a Federal style home located along the Rappahannock River at the mouth of Farnham Creek in Richmond County. The land is a portion of the original 8,350 acre Farnham Grant made to Colonel Moore Fauntleroy in 1650. Joseph William Chinn, a U.S. Congressman, and his wife Mary, who built the house, are memorialized at the on-site Chinn family cemetery. The stately home, at the end of a drive flanked with Magnolia, American Tree Box and shade trees, is Flemish bond brick construction with a standing seam metal gabled roof and end chimneys. The original portion, which has three-foot thick foundation walls and is built of bricks that were burned on the plantation, contains a center hall, dining room, living room and living quarters. Much of the original structure remains in good condition including southern longleaf heart pine floors, double-hung windows, raised-panel doors and hardware, and trim and molding.
Wilna was expanded in 1927 with a one-story brick kitchen wing. A wood frame addition completed in the 1950s now serves as the family room. During this time the enclosed screen porch was also added. Wilna, which was recently acquired by its present owners, continues to undergo restoration. The house is attractively furnished with pieces collected by two young families. View the detached 1 1/2 story antebellum kitchen built of 6-course American bond brickwork, which contains a large open hearth cooking fireplace and adjacent warming oven. Then take a stroll down the cedar alley to take in the wonderful river view from the pier, or walk past the cemetery to see the views stretching down Farnham Creek from the boathouse. Wilna is open for the first time for Garden Week.
Other Places of Interest in Richmond County:
NORTH FARNHAM EPISCOPAL CHURCH On Rt. 3, 9.3 miles south of Warsaw, turn left on Route 692. Farnham Church is situated .2 mile on the left. This brick church was built in 1737 and is located on the green in the center of the village of Farnham. The church, built in the shape of a Latin cross, is a Virginia Historic Landmark.
ST. JOHN'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH Located in Warsaw on Route 360 east from the center of town. The church was completed in 1835. The interior is a rectangular room with two aisles. The front is Greek Revival with triple-arched loggia and unplastered columns before the two Gothic Revival doors.
MENOKIN Four miles northwest of Warsaw on Route 690 (Menokin Road) or southeast from Montross on Route 690 (Menokin Road). The ruins of the home of Francis Lightfoot Lee, signer of the Declaration of Independence and his wife, Rebecca Tayloe. The house and five hundred acres on Cat Point Creek are now owned by a non-profit foundation dedicated to its preservation. A massive structure protects the ruin from the weather. Most of the original woodwork survives and may eventually be reinstalled. Samples will be displayed. Wildflowers bloom on the slopes toward Menokin Bay. A National Historic Landmark.
RICHMOND COUNTY MUSEUM AND VISITOR CENTER Located in the center of Warsaw on 5874 Richmond Road at the Courthouse. Visit the new, permanent exhibit, Country Stores of Richmond County, a composite of old stores in the county which no longer exist. Also see the display of Decorative Arts from Historic Richmond County Homes. Self Guided Walking Tour and Museum Gift Shop. Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Wed April 24th. Regular hours are 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Wed through Sat, 10 a.m to 5 p.m. Telephone (804) 333-3607
STRATFORD HALL Off Route 3, six miles west of Montross and 40 miles east of Fredericksburg. The Great House, built by Thomas Lee c.1738, is one of the finest examples of Georgian architecture in this country. It was the home of two signers of the Declaration of Independence, Richard Henry Lee and Francis Lightfoot Lee, and the birthplace of General Robert E. Lee. The formal east garden was restored by The Garden Club of Virginia in 1930-34. Stratford Hall Plantation is a Virginia Historic Landmark and a National Historic Landmark. Open from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily. Telephone (804) 493-8038. (www.stratfordhall.org.)
GEORGE WASHINGTON BIRTHPLACE NATIONAL MONUMENT 38 miles east of Fredericksburg off Rt. 3 on Rt. 204 at Pope's Creek Plantation. This complex includes a memorial house, kitchen house, colonial herb and flower gardens, walking trail with picnic area and fishing area, river beach, a visitor's center and a working colonial farm. A National Park and Monument. Hours 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Telephone (804) 224-1732. (www.nps.gov/gewa)
HISTORIC CHRIST CHURCH From Kilmarnock take Rt. 200 south and turn right on Rt. 646 (Christ Church Rd.) This church is considered one of the most beautiful colonial churches in North America and visitors will find it essentially unchanged since its completion in 1735. The grounds were restored by The Garden Club of Virginia in 1966-68. Open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Telephone (804) 438-6855. (e-mail: www.Christchurch1735.org)
Award Winning Publication
Award Winning Publication
Another quality website proudly designed,
hosted, maintained and promoted by